?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

Small Is So Beautiful

By GAIL COLLINS

Published: July 11, 2012

Our subject for today is the care and feeding of small businesses.

“I love you guys,” Mitt Romney told a teleconference hosted by the National Federation of Independent Business. “I love the fact that you’re working hard to follow your dreams and to build businesses. I — I love you guys. I love the fact that you’re — that you’re working hard to — to follow your dreams and to — and to build businesses.”

To summarize: We love you, guys.

And they’re everywhere! The Small Business Administration defines a small business as one with fewer than 500 workers, and that’s 99.7 percent of everything out there. “There are 5.7 million firms with employees in this country, and about 5.7 million have fewer than 500 employees — rounding slightly,” said Robert McIntyre, the director of Citizens for Tax Justice.

It’s sort of metaphysical, when you get right down to it. I am you as you are me and we are one and we are all small businesses. 
Ich bin ein small business. No wonder politicians want to get on their good side.

@Ich bin ein Berliner: “I am a Berliner” is a quotation from a June 26, 1963, speech by U.S. President John F. Kennedy in West Berlin. He was underlining the support of the US for West Gemany 22 months after the Soviet-supported East Germany erected the Berlin Wall as a barrier.

All of this takes us to President Obama’s call for Congress to extend the Bush tax cuts for families with incomes below $250,000 a year. Most people, the president said, believe it is wrong to “raise taxes on middle-class families.” It was certainly a triumphant moment for the administration’s economic policies. In 2008, who among us could have hoped that four years in the future, middle-class Americans would be making $250,000 a year?

But Romney called the idea “a massive tax increase on job creators and on small business.” He also denounced it as “another kick in the gut to the middle class in America,” thus signaling his determination to broaden the American middle even further, as well as to call everything the president does a “kick in the gut” for the rest of this campaign season.

How do we feel about this argument, people? We are not talking about business taxes, in the normal sense of the word. If we were, it would quickly become so incredibly confusing that you would be begging me to go back to the matter of the dog Romney once tied to the roof of his car.

the matter of the dog Romney: Mitt Romney dog incident
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney_dog_incident

The typical American business owner does not pay corporate taxes. He or she subtracts expenses from revenues and declares the bottom line as income. There are many, many advantages to this approach. You can avoid corporate tax rates, and it’s a lot easier to deduct things. If you’re a baker of gourmetcupcakes, you can subtract the entire cost of your new $50,000 ovens from your income, right up front, as well as lunch with your best friend who is also an occasional cupcake purchaser.

@gourmet: gourmet food is nicer or more unusual or so sophisticated
@deduct: subtract it from the total

“There are rules, of course, but both the rules and the implementation of the rules are fuzzy,” said William Gale, the co-director of the Tax Policy Center.

And everybody can get into the game! Including partners in hedge funds and law firms and investment banks. “Here’s the beauty — each of the hedge fund principals themselves is a small business,” said Gene Sperling, director of the National Economic Council. Sperling is a small business himself because he gets occasional royalty payments for co-writing a few episodes of “The West Wing.”

This flight to small is so popular that the Congressional Research Service concluded that if taxes on high incomes went up, it would actually create more small businesses because more rich people would want to “seek self-employment because the opportunities for tax evasion and avoidance are greater.”

Small business growth. It’s what makes America great.

When the Republicans claimed that capping the Bush tax cuts at $250,000 would hurt small businesses, the Obama administration quickly 
retorted that only about 3 percent of the small business owners have incomes above $250,000.

@retort: reply angrily to someone

Yeah, said the Republicans, but that little slice still represents more than 900,000 people, and half of all the nation’s business income.

Yeah, said the Democrats, but that’s because of the 
hedge fund managers and law partners and movie stars with rental property.

@hedge fund: an investment fund that invests large amounts of money using methods that involve a lot of risk

Yeah, said the Republicans, but the high-end sort-of-small businesses will still cut back on jobs or investment if their taxes go up. Taxes rise, bad things happen. It’s an article of faith. The Hartford Financial Group said it did a survey that showed just that, although as Robb Mandelbaum pointed out in The Times, only 2 percent of the small businesses surveyed actually cited taxes as their prime concern.

We do know these things: Republicans do not like income taxes, even for very wealthy people. Possibly particularly for very wealthy people. Barack Obama, who also has royalty income, is a small business. Possibly the only small business the Republicans do not love.
=> 우리가 아는 건 다음 두 가지다. 공화당이 세금을 걷어들이는 것을 좋아하지 않는다는 것.  부자들에게서 걷는다 하여도 말이다. 특히나 알부자들에게 더 그런 거 같다. 오바마는 중소기업을 지지하고 있지만, 공화당이 유일하게 사랑하지 않는 게 중소기업인가 보다.

TAG •
?

1. No Image

Fish Adjusts Its Shape to Lure Hungry Females

Fish Adjusts Its Shape to Lure Hungry Females By NICHOLAS BAKALAR Published: July 16, 2012 The male of a small freshwater fish, the swordtail characin, tempts females with an ornamental lure that looks like food. Females react by biting at the stalk t...
    Date2012.07.19 CategoryArticles Views70476
    Read More
  2. No Image

New partnership raises US stake in Afghanistan

New partnership raises US stake in Afghanistan By Arthur I. Cyr In a surprise July 7 visit to Kabul, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton announced that Afghanistan and the United States are now formal allies. This new relationship goes beyond th...
    Date2012.07.19 CategoryArticles Views11746
    Read More
  3. No Image

May 9, 2012 - Terror Plot Foiled

Terror Plot Foiled Aired May 9, 2012 - 04:00:00 ET MADISON WATKINS (ph): Hi, my name is Madison Watkins (ph), 11th grader at Fayetteville High School in Fayetteville, Arkansas. My favorite teacher is Ms. Burnett (ph), because she`s always willing to h...
    Date2012.07.19 CategoryCNN Students News Views21280
    Read More
  4. No Image

A Mix of Hope and Fear as Mongolia Grows Rich

A Mix of Hope and Fear as Mongolia Grows Rich By DAN LEVIN Published: July 15, 2012 ULAN BATOR, Mongolia — Three kinds of foreigners, they say, prowl the world’s energy frontiers: missionaries, misfits and mercenaries. @prowl: moves around an area qui...
    Date2012.07.16 CategoryArticles Views54075
    Read More
  5. No Image

Korea’s weak currency strategy

Korea’s weak currency strategy By John Burton The value of the Korean won continues to fall and is soon likely to breach the threshold of 1,200 to the U.S. dollar. Hail to the almighty weak won. @hail: to describe someone or something as being very go...
    Date2012.07.16 CategoryArticles Views6933
    Read More
  6. No Image

Small Is So Beautiful

Small Is So Beautiful By GAIL COLLINS Published: July 11, 2012 Our subject for today is the care and feeding of small businesses. “I love you guys,” Mitt Romney told a teleconference hosted by the National Federation of Independent Business. “I love t...
    Date2012.07.13 CategoryArticles Views18044
    Read More
  7. No Image

Cold War Shadows

Cold War Shadows By John J. Metzler UNITED NATIONS ― Shadows of the Cold War returned to the U.N. during the recent elections for President of the General Assembly where a previously agreed to candidate from Lithuania was challenged, and subsequently ...
    Date2012.07.13 CategoryArticles Views10523
    Read More
  8. No Image

May 11, 2012 - Election Results from France and Greece; Shaquille O`Neal`s Favorite Teacher

Election Results from France and Greece; Shaquille O`Neal`s Favorite Teacher Aired May 11, 2012 - 04:00:00 ET SHAQUILLE O`NEAL, FORMER NBA PLAYER: Hi, I`m Dr. Shaquille O`Neal, and you`re watching CNN Student News. CARL AZUZ, HOST, CNN STUDENT NEWS: Y...
    Date2012.07.13 CategoryCNN Students News Views67757
    Read More
  9. No Image

May 14, 2012 - Greek Government Troubles; Spain`s Economic Woes

Greek Government Troubles; Spain`s Economic Woes Aired May 14, 2012 - 04:00:00 ET CARL AZUZ, HOST, CNN STUDENT NEWS: A lost and found story that takes place in the world`s largest desert. The details on that are coming up as we kick off a new week of ...
    Date2012.07.12 CategoryCNN Students News Views26963
    Read More
  10. No Image

Is Philosophy Literature?

Is Philosophy Literature? By JIM HOLT Today, analytic philosophy has a broader scope than it used to. (Many of its qualities were examined in a previous post in this series by Gary Gutting, “Bridging the Analytic-Continental Divide.”) It’s less obsess...
    Date2012.07.12 CategoryArticles Views61896
    Read More
  11. No Image

Life after Darwin

Life after Darwin By Didier Raoult MARSEILLE ― Many Greek philosophers perceived the world to be in perpetual motion ― a process of constant evolution. In Charles Darwin’s world, however, creationism set the rules for science. So, underpinning his the...
    Date2012.07.12 CategoryArticles Views64954
    Read More
  12. No Image

June 1, 2012 - Fighting in Syria; Michael Bloomberg Wants to Ban Large Sodas

Fighting in Syria; Michael Bloomberg Wants to Ban Large Sodas Aired June 1, 2012 - 04:00:00 ET UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We`re the Carr (ph) Middle School Idea (ph) Students -- UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: -- from Pascagoula, Mississippi -- GROUP: And this is CNN ...
    Date2012.06.26 CategoryCNN Students News Views38636
    Read More
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
/ 7