크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

No sea change for East Sea

By Andrew Salmon

Talk about news of earth-shaking international importance. In Monaco last week, the International Hydrographic Organization ― the body that sets official geographic place names for maps ― rejected Korea’s demand to add “East Sea” alongside “Sea of Japan” when denoting the body of water dividing the nations. The exclusive use of “Sea of Japan” will continue through 2017 ― when the debate re-opens.

@hydrography: of or relating to hydrographics

@hydrograph: a graph showing the seasonal variation in level of a body of water, from which its velocity and discharge can be calculated

Surprisingly, the IHO decision has not sparked editorial rants, demonstrations outside the Japanese embassy, self-appointed “PR gurus” buying up ad space in U.S. newspapers or ex-Korean special agents shooting fire arrows into Monaco’s royal palace.

@guru: someone who knows a lot about a particular subject, and gives advice to other people

Why “surprisingly?” Well, the naming debate is an issue that many Koreans get extraordinarily hot under the collar about.

Let’s get some international perspective. For almost a century, “Sea of Japan” has been the most common, official designation. For nations, academic institutions and publishers worldwide to change the name in maps, atlases and other publications would require major efforts and investments. Thus, any argument for change must be rock solid.

I live in Korea, am married to a local and (generally) like Korea. I have no relationship with Japan. In short, I am readier to sympathize with Korea’s case. Yet this country’s arguments are not compelling to me, nor ― to judge from non-Korean friends’ reactions ― the wider international audience.

@compelling: make you feel certain that something is true or that you must do something about it

Korea’s primary argument seems to be that historically, the body of water was more widely dubbed “East Sea.” This is problematic: Plenty of international maps dating back to the 17th century mark it “Sea of Japan.” Korea says that among old maps in the US Library of Congress, 66 percent use “East Sea.” Japan, having surveyed the same materials, insists 77 percent use “Sea of Japan.”

And this argument is not just questionable, it is irrelevant. This is the 21st century, not the Joseon Kingdom; this is a geographic issue, not a historical one. No international principle that I know of suggests a return to pre-modern place names; there is plenty of logic against it. Should Iraq revert to Mesopotamia? Iran to Persia? Should Seoul rename itself KeijoHanseong, or Wiryeseong?

Speaking of history, I am tired of Koreans preaching about how non-Koreans must learn “right” or “correct” history. What they actually mean is “Koreans’ interpretation of history,” for history is not science, and beyond certain basic facts, historical events and trends are open to interpretation. I have yet to read an article in the local press that acknowledges opposing arguments ― the practice seems to be, “Ignore them, and restate the Korean side.”

@preach: to talk about a religious subject in a public place, especially in a church during a service

@restate: to say something again in a different way, so that it is clearer or more strongly expressed

This is a poor model for debate. Moreover, as a debate, the issue lacks longevity. Korea became independent of Japan in 1945, but (as far as I am aware), the sea name dispute arose only in 1997 ― i.e. 52 years after a 35-year colonial rule.

Another argument is that Koreans called it “East Sea” for longer than non-Koreans called it “Sea of Japan,” and some point out that “East Sea” features in South Korea’s national anthem. Fine. Koreans are welcome to call the body of water to their east anything they like on their maps, books and songs. But why should the rest of the world follow suit?

@anthem: a formal or religious song that a particular group of people consider to be very important

Others argue that the sea was dubbed “Sea of Japan” as a result of Japan’s colonization, or at a time when Korea was under Japanese rule, so could not argue. This is only partly the case, as pre-modern maps prove. What is unquestionable is that Japan’s brand enjoyed higher visibility than Korea’s in the late 18th and early 19th centuries; Japan, under Meiji, opened, modernized and became a regional and world power. No name-change on maps can erase that.

And some fret that “Sea of Japan” undermines Korea’s ownership of Dokdo. This argument is so empty of precedent or logic that it requires no refutation.

@fret: to worry about something, especially when there is no need

As I see it, the real reason Koreans want a name change is simple. Nationalism is a powerful emotive force in Northeast Asia in general and in Korea in particular. A cornerstone of Korean nationalism is distrust, dislike or hatred of Japan. This, I think, is the real force behind the “East Sea” campaign.

@cornerstone: something extremely important because everything else depends on it

Alas, self-righteous, introspective campaigning on grounds of wounded national pride wins few international allies or votes. On the contrary, a low-key, restrained approach may be more effective. Japan has certainly been a less aggressive advocate. Seoul sent a 16-man delegation to the IHO; Tokyo just nine. A search of Google news finds over 30 Korean reports, but just one from Japan.

@alas: used when mentioning a fact that you wish was not true

@restrained: calm and controlled

While Korea’s consumer exports, pop culture products and tourism marketing win friends around the world, I am willing to bet that nationalist emoting does not. If the “East Sea” issue can be laid to rest, and Koreans refocus on national, rather than nationalist agendas, so much the better.

However, I don’t see that happening: Too much passion is invested.

So, if you are publicity-seeking academic, grandstanding lawmaker, wannabe “PR guru” or nationalist crackpot, I suggest a new campaign to unleash the jingoistic furies: “EAST SEA 2017 – OR WAR!”

@unleash: to suddenly let a strong force, feeling etc have its full effect

@leash: a piece of rope to a dog’s collar in order to control it

@jingoism: a strong belief that your own country is better than others

?

1. Hogeon's English Presentation - 2012.11.12.

의욕 가득했던 2012년ㅋㅋㅋ 추억 돋네... 5년 전의 나 그리고 지금의 나 지난 5년 간 나는 나의 꿈을 향해 몇 발자국이나 내딛었는가?
    Date2017.02.01 CategoryEnglish Views5846
    Read More
  2. No Image

When Capitalists Cared

When Capitalists Cared By HEDRICK SMITH Published: September 2, 2012 IN the rancorous debate over how to get the sluggish economy moving, we have forgotten the wisdom of Henry Ford. In 1914, not long after the Ford Motor Company came out with the Mode...
    Date2012.09.04 CategoryArticles Views182942
    Read More
  3. No Image

Unified system of Romanization

Unified system of Romanization By Robert J. Fouser Quietly, ever so quietly, displeasure with the current Romanization system of Korean is seeping into the news. The issue stands with Chinese characters as the most contested Korean-language issue of ...
    Date2012.09.04 CategoryArticles Views133684
    Read More
  4. No Image

August 23, 2012 - How Much Food Do We Throw Out?; West Nile Virus Outbreak

How Much Food Do We Throw Out?; West Nile Virus Outbreak Aired August 23, 2012 - 04:00:00 ET CARL AZUZ, CNN ANCHOR: Some of this food can end up on your plate, but how much of it could eventually end up in the trash? The answer might surprise you. I`m...
    Date2012.08.24 CategoryCNN Students News Views58598
    Read More
  5. No Image

No sea change for East Sea

No sea change for East Sea By Andrew Salmon Talk about news of earth-shaking international importance. In Monaco last week, the International Hydrographic Organization ― the body that sets official geographic place names for maps ― rejected Korea’s de...
    Date2012.08.24 CategoryArticles Views67269
    Read More
  6. No Image

Full-Time Work Means Better Health for Mothers

Full-Time Work Means Better Health for Mothers By KJ DELL'ANTONIA “This is not about advice for women,” the University of Akron sociologist Adrianne M. Frech said of her latest research, which showed that women who work steadily full-time after the bi...
    Date2012.08.24 CategoryArticles Views24375
    Read More
  7. No Image

Drop the Pasta, Dad, and No One Gets Hurt

Drop the Pasta, Dad, and No One Gets Hurt By MATT RICHTEL Published: August 21, 2012 They sit there, five little pasta shells, nestled in a shallow bath of melted butter and Parmesan: the remains of dinner for my toddler son and daughter. I cannot hel...
    Date2012.08.24 CategoryArticles Views34384
    Read More
  8. No Image

US-China rivalry over Africa

US-China rivalry over Africa Frank Ching Africa has become a major theater in the global rivalry between China and the United States. This was evident during Hillary Clinton’s visit to the continent, during which she spread the message of democracy an...
    Date2012.08.24 CategoryArticles Views161688
    Read More
  9. No Image

Pyongyang blowback

Pyongyang blowback By Andrew Salmon In 2001, following the 9/11 terrorist attack, a term used by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency entered common currency. Throughout the 1980s, the Mujahideen, that loose conglomeration of Afghan tribal forces and ...
    Date2012.08.23 CategoryArticles Views83749
    Read More
  10. No Image

Wet Dogs Shake Dry in Milliseconds

Wet Dogs Shake Dry in Milliseconds If you’ve ever bathed a dog, you know firsthand how quickly a drenched pup can shake water off. Now researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology have found that furry mammals can shake themselves 70 percent dry...
    Date2012.08.23 CategoryArticles Views31843
    Read More
  11. No Image

August 20, 2012 - Strike in South African Mine Turns Deadly; The One-Square-Meter House

Strike in South African Mine Turns Deadly; The One-Square-Meter House Aired August 20, 2012 - 04:00:00 ET CARL AZUZ, CNN ANCHOR: Whether you are starting a new week or a new school year, we welcome you to CNN STUDENT NEWS. Hello, I`m Carl Azuz. Today,...
    Date2012.08.22 CategoryCNN Students News Views28264
    Read More
  12. No Image

Falling off a high cliff?

Falling off a high cliff? By Robert Klemkosky # US govn’t doesn’t concern their fiscal problem, they are not likely to talk about it for re-election. Falling off a cliff may be harmful to one’s health or even life if the cliff is high enough. In the U...
    Date2012.08.22 CategoryArticles Views33675
    Read More
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
/ 7